I absolutely love that more and more people are taking up running and that because of this increase there are awesome 5K races popping up all over the place!
Last year a group of girlfriends and I decided to hit up The Color Run. Not being a timed event, it sounded like just the fun time we needed and it would motivate us to get active.
The race DID NOT disappoint!
It was such a great party atmosphere. Everyone was friendly to each other and it was just awesome to see people of all ages out there running.
My favorite part by far was when we saw a group running together and we couldn’t figure out what their shirts meant. When we finally asked, we learned that it was the birthday of one of them, so we did what any other people would do… We sang her happy birthday while running! The cool thing, everyone around us joined it. It was fabulous and totally made it “The Happiest 5K on the Planet.”
This year, I’ll be running the race again.. this time with my 2 kiddos! We’ve begun our training and I can’t wait to share it with them. I do have some tips though if you want to run it with your kidlets.
- Bring eye, nose and mouth protection – The powder can be a bit overwhelming when you go through the color stations. You don’t want them inhaling it or getting it in their eyes. Bandanas work great!
- Don’t expect to run your normal pace – The kids will most likely get caught up in the excitement and try to tack off super fast, which means they will peter out pretty quickly. Don’t sweat it! Focus on the fun, it’s one of the great things about this not being a timed event.
- Pack kleenex and wet wipes – We’re moms/dads.. chances are, we have these in the car already. But if you don’t, make sure to stock up. Even with covered mouths and noses they will probably inhale some of the powder, you will want them to blow their nose and the wet wipes will come in handy for cleaning hands and faces before jumping in the car and heading home.
- Bring towels, for you and the kids – I learned this the hard way. You, and the kids, will be covered with powder head to toe. Use the towels on the seats of your car to protect them on the way home. And extra t-shirt isn’t a bad idea either.
- Lastly, bring a camera – If you bring your phone be sure to bring a baggie to put it in so it doesn’t get ruined. The picture above was taken with a friends phone and she had it in a baggie, worked like a charm! You want to be able to capture memories throughout the run, so don’t forget!
I’m sure I’ll have more tips once we actually run the race, but that’s a good start for now.
The Color Run is in cities all across the nation and I really want you to run it, with or without your kids! (Even though it is a GREAT family activity.) So, use this discount code to save an additional $5 off your registration price. *Good for any time/city not already sold out. To take advantage of the discount code for more than 1 registration be sure to pay separately for each runner.*
You can also sign up as a team if you have 4 runners or more. When you do, you automatically save $5, then you can use the promo code and save and additional $5.
Disclosure: I received compensation in the form of free registration for the race in exchange for sharing my experience and the discount code. My words. My life.